We need to restore our economy from the ground up and increase economic mobility amongst all of our families. It starts with a livable wage and restoring the middle-class tax deductions for families most in need. We need to revitalize our local economy and support local assets to the community like Johnson C. Smith, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte Douglas International Airport and Intermodal Facility, University Research Park and maintain our partnership with University Partners. Charlotte is the Wall Street of the South and we should work to make sure that everyone participates in the growth and success of our local economy.
I commit to fighting for:
- Policies that seek to expand our economy and diversify the workforce.
- Access to affordable, quality health care for all North Carolinians.
- Local innovation by supporting incentives for small businesses.
- Investments in our infrastructure.
- Maintaining local control of Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
- Pay increases for NC State employees.
- Expansion and support of college and career readiness programming.
- A living wage to give our families a fighting chance to escape poverty.
- Incentives to businesses committed to youth employment programs.
- Policies and investments in green energy.
- A ban on the use of criminal background checks in the initial hiring process by state agencies so that employers consider a job applicant’s qualifications first, without the stigma of a criminal record.
- Incentives for companies to hire individuals with criminal records.
- A restoration of North Carolina’s film credits.
- The lowering of tuition and fee costs at our community colleges.
- Expanding state support of UNC-Charlotte’s Business Incubator, Ventureprise.